There's document management and there is indexing stored documents so
they can readily be found. Document management solutions cost. The
easier the solution is to use, the higher the cost. And, been there done
that, if the participants won't buy into the constraints of the system,
you would be better off giving them all Windows Desktop Search. All
document management systems constrain users in some manner. Generally,
in my experience researching the subject, all require some form of
document check in and check out and version management.

As to cost, one manufacturing firm (seven years ago) was looking at
$250,000 for their system until management found out it would allow
federal regulators to easily find EVERYTHING they were looking at in
their regulation of the firm. At that point the company decided to stick
with paper and filing cabinets.

If you still want to follow up, two bits I suggest you look at are
"Simple Document Repository" at http://sourceforge.net/projects/sidocre/
and OpenDocMan at http://sourceforge.net/projects/opendocman/ The price
is right. ;-)

Don Bosman