On Sep 4, 2007, at 1:35 PM, Lounds, Victor wrote:

> Interesting...
>
> I know of a school here in michigan that migrated from POP3/IMAP
> several
> years ago to a MS Exchange configuration for their Fac/Staff while the
> +27,000 students used a hardware device called Mirapoint.  This split
> config seems to work well for them, I wonder if something similar or
> better this would work in our enviornment.

I know that Mirapoint uses a per user license for its appliances. I
think one problem with something like a Mirapoint is that with 160,000
+ users, per user licensing becomes really expensive really quick.

If its per user license were more than a few dollars, the cost of the
system would balloon and that's not even considering the cost of
storage yet. I used to work for a smaller university that considered
a Mirapoint and with ~7000 users we were looking at a pretty
expensive system after everything was figured out, and that was using
our own storage.

Unless the price is reasonable, per user licensing on a system our
size can be prohibitive.
--Ray