To answer the actual question...
It only costs about 10 bucks from ratshack, fultons, etc for what you
need.

You can file down your tip so it is thinner and retin it.
You can buy a new tip (i assume it is the type that screws off)

You can use a vaccuum bulb or copper wire mesh, for solder removal. In a
pinch you can use a turkey baster (the plastic end might melt but..)

You can also get silver based solder, which melts at a higher temperature
and leaves a very nice looking shiny joint like you see on circuit boards.
It is harder to get to stick if you aren't soldering correctly.

It has been my experience if I am not soldering correctly it will leave
a big goopy mess of solder, burnt flux, and not stick.

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007, David Benjamin wrote:

> Hi gang,
>
> Does anyone have a heat controllable soldering station and/or
> desoldering tools that you could loan or rent for an overnight project?
> It doesn't have to be this week, but the sooner the better. I hate to
> spend a lot of money to buy one and barely use it. I have a plain-jane
> soldering iron w/ pencil tip that seems to get too hot and burn the flux
> which makes for a bad connection. I'm looking for a fine tip for circuit
> board repair.
>
> Thanks,
>
> David Benjamin
> Manager, Client Technical Support
> Diagnostic Center for Population and Animal Health
> Michigan State University
> 4125 Beaumont Rd., Suite 202
> Lansing, MI 48910
> 517-432-5840