I went through this last November.  It was AMON causing the problem.  It
took so long to scan one of the HostExplorer files that I'd get a timeout
when trying to connect.  If you open the AMON monitor window and then try
to use HostExplorer you can see which file it hangs on.

Hope this helps.

At 12:17 PM 9/26/2007 -0400, you wrote:
>Just wondering if there is any update on this?    (sorry to dredge it
>up from the past)
>
>I've been fighting with HostExplorer on 3 computers here. I finally
>remembered that there was a conflict with Nod32, but making the
>changes suggested below still doesn't help for me.  (oh, and this
>info hasn't made it into AIS's help desk system)
>
>Are there any alternatives to HostExplorer?   Some other 3270 program
>that can be piped thru a Putty SSL tunnel or something?
>

>On April 23, at 11:28 AM April 23, Peter J Murray wrote:
>
>>Is AIS going to update Host Explorer with a different version?  The
>>one that they have for download has a bunch of weird errors in it
>>(not to mention it's a few revisions behind).  If you install it
>>with the per user profile, it just one day stops working.  Only
>>reinstalling it with a common profile makes it work.  When you
>>install that particular version, it complains it can't find the
>>help file, because the install has it point to a non existent path.
>>
>>Also, Host Explorer seems to be really big for what it does.  It's
>>very resource intensive and large.
>>

>>Erik Selke wrote:
>>>We had this problem when we switched to NOD32.
>>>
>>>NOD32's IMON component conflicts with HostExplorer.  You could
>>>turn off IMON, but the better solution is to add the hostex32.exe
>>>(C:\Program Files\Hummingbird\Connectivity\10.00\HostExplorer
>>>\hostex32.exe) to the list of applications IMON does not monitor
>>>
>>>This setting is under 'IMON/Settings/Misc/Excluded Applicatoons'
>>>of the configuration profile.  Then push the updated profile out
>>>to your clients.
>>>
>>>Erik

Cheryl

Cheryl Akers, MS, CNA - [log in to unmask]
Microcomputer Support - Microbiology and Molecular Genetics
2228C Biomedical Physical Sciences
Michigan State University
East Lansing, MI  48824

517-355-6463 X1514

"I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes, several days attack me
at once."
Jennifer Unlimited