The cost of outsourcing mail - is ads in the mail.

The benefit to the outsourcer is income from scanning for hot words and putting in ads.

if one puts ads in ten percent and charges $.001  per ad the outsourcer gets $1000. per million mails.

How many mails does mail.msu.edu pass each day?

Maybe we need to consider adding mails from potential employers or media companies. Or at least offer the option to students on an opt in basis.

Yes, I know there are a LOT of reasons not to do that. ;-)

One benefit of outsourcing is being left out of the current discussion. Permanent mail addresses. We cant offer that at present. Google, Hotmail, Yahoo, etc.  can.

Don Bosman

Information Technologist

Libraries, Michigan State University

  100 Library