In a more recent article from last week:

http://www.huliq.com/30860/google-school-more-universities-announce-google-apps-on-campus

five new universities have announced they will move to Gmail and Google
hosted apps for email, calendaring, and instant messaging services.  I
did find a more detailed article from earlier this year about Arizona
State's decision, which actually talks about their FERPA concerns:

http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid5_gci1245576,00.html

There are apparently several schools outside the US who have also opted
to use Google Apps for Education for their student population.  I'll
reserve my own opinion here, but I'd be curious to see what other people
have to say on this issue.

John A. Resotko
Head of Systems Administration
Michigan State University College of Law
email: [log in to unmask]
Phone: 517-432-6836
Fax: 517-432-6861

Current Chairperson of the