Peter,

I just got back from a much needed vacation to the UP and wanted to
update you on my experience with AT&T during the week.  I had
coverage all the way up 127 to 75 and across the Mackinac Bridge.  I
was surprised that on the other side of the bridge, driving down US 2
I had at least 3 bars and the EDGE network available all the way over
to Manistique.

In the Curtis area (http://tinyurl.com/34u4fu) I was able to get
three bars, and the EDGE network, if I was in the west side of the
town which is the high point for the village.  At the cabin we stayed
at in Pine Bluff Resort (http://tinyurl.com/2n3d85) I had one bar, no
EDGE.  If a call came in for me my phone would register the call,
ring, but if I answered it I couldn't hear the other person.  I would
also see if I had a voicemail waiting, but I wasn't able to call out
either.  My relatives with Verizon Wireless and Sprint had the same
or less of the experience which surprised me.

When we headed north from Pine Bluff Resort to 28 I'd pickup a
signal, between 2 - 3 bars and EDGE, all the way over to Munising,
which had service until I we entered the Pictured Rocks National
Lakeshore area where it disappeared except in the parking lot near
the overlook of Grand Island.  Here I was able to pickup a signal
with 2 bars and EDGE (was able to lookup restaurants in Munising
using Google Maps) but the clock on my iPhone which is set by the
network was an hour behind, which was strange.

In summary, I was surprised that I even had coverage north of
Mackinac Bridge and that my service closely mirrored the Verizon and
Sprint service my relatives had while in the same areas.

FYI

-t

--
Troy Murray