John is right -- we (ACNS) use servicestatus.msu.edu to publish our best
understanding of what's going on when a service is having troubles.
Help.msu.edu provides a somewhat abbreviated RSS feed that links to the same
information. Please use servicestatus.msu.edu both to look up real-time
information, and also to obtain historical information after an incident.

MSU experienced difficulties connecting the campus network to or from the
Internet starting late Wednesday evening.  Those difficulties continued
intermittently most of the day Thursday.  Intermittent problems appeared
again today.  Connections within the campus network were not affected.

ACNS Operations and ACNS Network Management remained in contact with Merit,
our Internet service provider, throughout these events, and will remain in
contact with Merit.  The outages affected other Merit members, such as U-M
and Wayne State.  We do not yet know what the cause is.  Of course, we
recognize the seriousness of any outage that affects connections to or
from the Internet and MSU's campus network.

In event of any computing service interruption, servicestatus.msu.edu is the
place for you to find the best information we have as to status.  If you
can't reach that source, please feel free to call 517-432-6200, the ACNS
Help Desk, for status information, or for any questions you may have.

/rich