Sorry, Gmail got send-happy on me....

Smokeping: http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/
MRTG: http://oss.oetiker.ch/mrtg/
RRDTool: http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/

These require a lot of tuning on different levels to make work well
for a given environment.  Something more out-of-the-box, but with a
price tag:

http://www.ipswitch.com/products/whatsup/index.asp

We use it to monitor ping, tcp services, disk utilization, etc.  It's
pretty easy to use and you can configure actions on alarms to email or
txt message admins.

dpk