A couple of days ago John Resotko posted a message in this thread with the following URL that includes info about Goggle's FERPA compliance:

http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid5_gci1245576,00.html

This article indicates that as part of its FERPA compliance Google does not scan student e-mail; hence they do not display targeted ads to students, just faculty and staff (still a large volume of e-mail).

As for permanent MSU associated e-mail addresses, doesn't the MSU alumni association already do this with the existing system for their members?  Many departments also do this for non-MSU employees (volunteers, etc.) who are closely affiliated with their programs.  In the context of this discussion, I do not see a 'permanent' GMail account as a benefit of sufficient value to help sway the decision either way.

Bob Kriegel
systems analyst,
Dept of Animal Science, MSU