Thanks John.  I did learn something new from the second URL.

>five new universities have announced they will move to Gmail and Google
>hosted apps for email, calendaring, and instant messaging services.  I
>did find a more detailed article from earlier this year about Arizona
>State's decision, which actually talks about their FERPA concerns:
>
>http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid5_gci1245576,00.html

In order to comply with FERPA's privacy regulations Google crawlers don't
traverse student e-mail messages and do not display targeted ads to
students.  But since faculty, staff, and alumni aren't covered by FERPA,
the search engine does crawl their e-mail messages and does present them
with targeted advertising.  This does not alleviate my sensitive data concerns.

And I do love how both articles are followed by paid Google ads with links
to other online '"news" articles about Google applications.

Bob Kriegel
systems analyst, Dept. of Animal Science