My colleagues are going to get tired of me saying this, but it is amazing to
see in 2007 on small systems the exact same issues we faced in 1987 on our
VM mainframes.

Of course, in 2007 we can acquire systems with massively large real
memories.  And of course disks are much faster and more capacious, but
anytime you start paging to disk you're slowing down dramatically.

One mainframe performance maverick back in the 80s said "If it is in your
machine room and if it rotates, page to it."  Now you want sufficient real
memory so you don't need your virtual memory to hit the disk at all.  Then
you can hit the disk for other kinds of I/O.

(Of course I am citing hard-learned lessons from 20 years ago, with
zero experience with modern VM systems....)

/rich