On Jun 25, 2007, at 3:10 PM, David McFarlane wrote:

> I am building a new machine and want to use virtualization to run
> Microsoft Vista, Linux, etc.  I would like your opinions on two
> related questions:
>
> 1) VMWare vs. Microsoft Virtual PC?

  I have used both Virtual PC and VMWare. I have had much better luck
with VMWare. In my opinion, VMWare is a better performing piece of
software, but both will do what you need.

> 2 )Linux (or FreeBSD) as host OS with Vista as a guest, vs. Vista
> as host OS with Linux (or FreeBSD) as guest?

I have found that SUSE Linux has the best support for running VMWare
hosts. It has RPMs and everything including the kernel parts, Debian
also had pre-made packages for the various VMWare kernel parts.

I can't really speak for long term use of VMWare on Vista as my
preference was to run it under Linux.

--Ray