Thanks to all for a good discussion,

At 2007-06-25 04:39 PM Monday, Kevin Floyd wrote:

>Is this for production use? Or for as test environment?

Just for a test environment.  I don't run servers, I just develop custom
data acquistion and control applications for scientific research.  Some of
this stuff still has to run under Windows 98, so for instance it's nice to
have a Windows 98 machine around as one test & development environment,
etc., and it sure would be handy if I could do everything virtually on one
box instead of keeping multiple boxes around.  And we have brain image
analysis software that is written for Unix-like environments, so it's handy
to have a Unix-like thing around.  And then I still have to help everyone
around with normal Microsoft stuff, so I have to run & keep familiar with
all that.  And it sure would be handy to have a way to do test application
installs on a sacrifical OS installation, so I could wipe it out when I'm
done and not affect my main environment.  Finally, I just want a way to try
out several OSs before I commit to any of them.

So I could boot to, say, Ubuntu to do all my office work, then virtually
boot Windows 98 or XP or Vista to do Windows testing & development; or I
could boot to, say, Vista, and then virtually boot Ubuntu

-- David McFarlane, Systems Designer
    Dept. Psychology, Michigan State University
    [log in to unmask]    www.msu.edu/~mcfarla9
    Voice: (517) 353-0799    Fax: (517) 353-1652