The GX 745 SFF is exactly the same size and appearance as the GX 620s we
have for some of our public machines. So far, mostly good. The air flow
in the GX 745 seems to be the same as the GX 620, which is superior to
GX 270 and GX 280 SFF boxes as far as dust collecting inside. In my
opinion SFF cases collect more dust bunnies then desktop cases. In my
experience GX 620s collect less dust then GX 260s did - in the same
location.

These SFF boxes have One SATA connection on the mother board. Forget
connecting a non USB hard drive to copy from. You can't connect to the
CD drive connector as it is proprietary. If you place them vertically
the cover will vibrate a bit from time to time. A bit of resilient
weather stripping or double stick foam tape takes care of that. The base
for Dell LCD monitors is wider than the SFF box so it looks a bit silly
sitting on top of one. After the usual desk clutter ends up under the
monitor the base not fitting doesn't matter.

If theft is a concern, the standard desktop case is harder to hide. SFF
boxes will fit in most backpacks. We lock our monitors and SFF machines
in to one package with coated "aircraft" cable and pad locks. All system
cables are run through the padlock too. We make our own security cables
so cost is low.

ACNS will have a REMBO image for the 745s by fall term, if that matters.

The 745s come with both Analog and DVI so dual monitors is an easy
option.

Don Bosman
Information Technologist
Libraries, Michigan State University