It's true that ACNS is exploring the possibility of outsourcing student
email accounts, but we are very early in the process. We are learning about
options, and no decisions have been made. Some colleagues and I visited
Google's office in Ann Arbor last week to attend their Google Apps open
house. Attendees from MSU and other universities saw Google's
presentations.

We are working on an RFI (Request for Information) which we will send to
various vendors. If we choose to pursue the outsourcing of student email,
we will follow the normal RFP process and work with members of the campus
community including various committees.

We're also evaluating ways that we might improve the existing mail.msu.edu
service. We're especially focused on these issues: quotas, spam, features,
and
performance.

 -Ed