We have a few Stata users in LIR. I'm not a stats guy, but my
impression is that Stata is preferred over SAS and SPSS. We still
have some SPSS users here, but I think that is due to inertia.

It is good to hear about the Grad plan pricing, we might be
interested in that in the future.

Another stats package we use here is Minitab. It doesn't have the
advanced features of Stata (or maybe even SPSS?), but it is easier to
use and creates graphs easily. The Computer Store has a site license
(annual renewal, about $50 / copy?), we license it for our computer
lab and use it in a few grad classes.

If you want to get in touch with our Stata-using stats prof, email me
off list.

PS - SPSS has been somewhat problematic for the last two years.
Sometimes it takes a couple of installs before it starts working.
Then there was that licensing snafu last Fall.  And I seem to recall
some bad results that magically fixed itself after a re-install of
the same code.