I assume "Google in our machine room" is a metaphor, but to be clear here,
Google is promoting a hosted solution that incorporates the university's
logo into the Gmail look and feel.  Here is an article describing how
Arizona State was able to redeploy hardware and personnel after switching to
Gmail for student mail:

http://searchstorage.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid5_gci1245576,00.html

If the service were hosted in a university's machine room, you wouldn't have
the economies of scale of Google's global, low-cost, massive, self-healing
file system.  Here is an article I wrote in 2004 soon after Gmail came out
predicting the pressure on university e-mail services:

http://www.infotoday.com/SEARCHER/jul04/wiggins.shtml

Don't forget that a big part of the package that Google is promoting for
university student use is the hosted Google Apps.  Arizona State has
incorporated Google Apps into its student portal:

http://www.asu.edu/students/

(I have no knowledge of any discussions Google has had with MSU relative to
this topic.)

/rich