A handful of new Dell computers is on its way to us.  I wonder if they come pre-installed with this Google "spyware."

http://www.techworld.com/security/news/index.cfm?newsid=8930

Yeah, that's a fairly broad definition of spyware, and this stuff doesn't seem to include the "personalization" features that are the ones I really would not want on our computers.  I'm not sure there are even any "call home" functions in it.   Just the same, there is no good reason to trust these people, given their checkered history on privacy and civil liberties issues.   And I'd like all of our browsers to operate the same out of the box.  If nothing else, it's a good windmill-of-the-day to tilt against.

It sounds as though there are several components that need to be removed if one doesn't want it.  Has anyone seen a complete, definitive list.  I've seen some discussions about what to remove, but nothing remotely authoritative even by internet standards.

I'm also wondering if the MSU Computer Store routinely negotiates terms that would keep such things out of MSU-purchased computers, at least.   (I suppose this forum is not the authoritative source for information on that, though!)

John Gorentz