I cringe at the thought that Google would be hosting our email.  While
they have a great interface (and a pretty well defined spam-catcher),
they are an off-site corporation with no responsibility to our
university.  Their privacy policy differs SIGNIFICANTLY from our privacy
statement and AUP.

We have very talented staff here, whom can either create their own
solution, or procure one that is run and owned by the university.
Personally, I find the current solution very hard to use, but I realize
that it was a huge step forward from the elm solution we were using at
the time.

There are lots of new technologies that can be explored to create a new
front-end to our email solution:  AJAX, Flex, etc.  There are lots of
varieties of front-end solutions that exist out there that can be
modeled after:  GMail, Yahoo, Outlook Web Access, MailEnable, and
SmarterMail come to mind.

As far as your last question of allowing some students to use gMail,
while others keep the existing system, that is possible today.  All
students / staff need to do is do a mail-forward to their gmail account.
I know lots of people whom are doing it today with good results.

-Nick Kwiatkowski
 MSU Telecom Systems