From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of Brian Martinez
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2007 2:23 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [MSUNAG] Emergency e-mail lists (or other electronic
communications)

What do you guys think about using some sort of realtime electronic
communications in a situation like this?

For example, an accessible IRC Server, or better still a Jabber server
that
makes use of your NetID (and probably auths against some system on
campus)?
There could be a global message that goes out to anyone signed in, or
people
could connect to a central "chatroom" to receive  up-to-date
information.

This sort of thing has been discussed around here before, for handling
emergency electronic communications.  It assumes it would be a viable
service in "off" times as well (i.e. people would make use of it day to
day,
and not just in times of emergencies).  But no real thoughts one way or
another have come from such discussions.

Opinions?  Tell me what you folks think!  Off-list or not.

Thanks!
./brm