I have read a number of conflicting 'best practice' documents on the subject of patch management and none of them agree with one another. :)

Most of them assign a minimum patch time based on the severity of the patch and climate (is womrable?  do worms exist for it? are exploits in the wild? etc.).  I believe its FIPS that says a critical patch has to be tested and installed within 24 hours of its release, others very or don't say.

My favorite document on the subject is the NIST guide found @ http://csrc.nist.gov/publications/nistpubs/800-40-Ver2/SP800-40v2.pdf

Hope that helps.

--
Bryan Murphy, CISSP, MCP