STeve Andre' wrote:
> On Monday 02 April 2007 22:28:02 Richard Wiggins wrote:
>
>> Colleagues,
>>
>> The included message below will be sent to MSU Deans, Directorrs and
>> Chairs soon.  As per agreement with MSU NAG, we try to send a heads-up
>> to NAG before such announcements go to the MSU community at large.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> /rich
>>
>> To:  Deans, Directors, and Chairs
>>
>> Subject:  Dial-up Internet services to end July 2, 2007 - second notice
>>
>> ACNS and Merit Network have worked together for many years to provide
>> dial-up Internet access for MSU faculty, staff, students, and
>> retirees.  Many users, however, have stopped using dial-up in favor of
>> high-speed alternatives.  As a result, Merit Network will discontinue
>> the following services on Monday,
>> July 2, 2007:
>>
> [snip]
>
> Wow.  The end of an era.  Given the expense of maintaing them,
> I see why they're going.  These days when I wander around I
> look for a Panera for a quick email fix...
>
> Can anyone reccomend an ISP that has a dialup number good for
> the entire state?  Ideally, an ISP where you could buy a months
> service while going on a vacation, something like that.
>
> For me, the dialins were most useful when at a hotel that didn't
> have wireless.  I suppose thats getting more and more common
> though.  Still, having the option of a dialup ISP would be nice to
> tell my users.
>
> Thanks, STeve Andre'

Many ISPs that sell you DSL have dial up numbers as backups for when /
if  your DSL fails. I used one thru AT&T when in Florida 3 or 4 years ago.
Painfully slow.

--
Steve Devine
Storage Systems

506 Computer Center
East Lansing, MI 48824-1042
1-517-432-7327

Baseball is ninety percent mental; the other half is physical.
- Yogi Berra