I'm actually sitting in a SANS conference right now where we are discussing
this very thing (at this very minute)...

They recommend:  Test patches/updates/service packs in a "lab environment"
first.  If you can't do that, make your roll-out a test of sorts.  First
roll out to your IT department (they say to 50 or so ppl, but who's IT Dept.
on campus is that large??)  The IT Department will run it for a 2 - 3 days,
and any problems with the roll-out will come back to you.  And since its
your IT Department, they can come back to you and be understanding about
whatever problems there may be.  They may also be able to (find)
workaround(s) to the problems.

Then as everything becomes stabilized you can start your roll-out to other
areas within your department.

Just thought I'd pass that small about of info along.
./brm