Colleagues,

The included message below will be sent to MSU Deans, Directorrs and
Chairs soon.  As per agreement with MSU NAG, we try to send a heads-up
to NAG before such announcements go to the MSU community at large.

Thanks,

/rich

To:  Deans, Directors, and Chairs

Subject:  Dial-up Internet services to end July 2, 2007 - second notice

ACNS and Merit Network have worked together for many years to provide
dial-up Internet access for MSU faculty, staff, students, and
retirees.  Many users, however, have stopped using dial-up in favor of
high-speed alternatives.  As a result, Merit Network will discontinue
the following services on Monday,
July 2, 2007:

- Michigan dial-up access (local phone numbers across the state)
- Toll-free dial-up access (national 800 number)
- Global dial-up access (international numbers)

Merit's decision to discontinue these services, combined with
declining use, leads us to conclude that we should no longer provide
these services to the
MSU community.  For the time being, however, ACNS will continue to
provide dial-up service in the Lansing/East Lansing local calling area
(517-999-2678).

For more information, please see
http://techbase.msu.edu/viewpathfinder.asp?id=7510

.rich