While I'm not an MSU mail admin, I do believe the scenario you
describe below works, and from my tests below, it doesn't
even look like it has to be to/from the same users even.

First connection from an IP address shows the following banner:

220 grey00.mail.msu.edu ESMTP spamd IP-based SPAM blocker; Wed Apr  4 18:06:43 2007

Subsequent connection attempts all show the same banner.. until
around 7-8 minutes later, when the banner changes:

220 mx04.mail.msu.edu ESMTP Exim 4.63 Wed, 04 Apr 2007 18:14:52 -0400

At this point, it seems from/to tuples are completely ignored, and
only frequency of IP address/range connections to MSU's mail servers
is monitored.

Perhaps someone from MSU's mail team could expand on that.

-Russell