From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On
Behalf Of STeve Andre'
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 4:09 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] SPSS questions

   We don't have any form of tech support from SPSS with our edu stite
licence of SPSS15, do we?

  Since I'm pretty sure we don't, perhaps someone has seen the folowing.
I have a user who got a new T60 Thnkpad; I put SPSS on it and authorized
it, etc.  The user says that SPSS runs just fine with the AC power
plugged in, but starts to crab about licence problems when on the
battery!  I have not seen this myself yet, but I have faith that this is
in fact real.

   Has anyone seen this?  Have I missed commentary some where about
this?  At a guess, I am thinking that at auth time SPSS records the
speed of the CPU, as a part of its paranoia about being illegally
cloned.  When changing the AC power supply state, the CPU speed changes
and thus the notice of license problems.

   If anyone knows of this, I'd love to know.

thanks,

--STeve Andre'
Political Science