Thank you William Balluff for your hotfix, that indeed made things a lot
better.  I just went ahead and disabled Microsoft Update as well, as it
does take an enormous amount of resources and it was killing our older
machines with 256mb ram (I would have never ordered machines with such
low memory, they were here when I came here).

Thank you again everyone, I had been looking for solutions to this for a
very long time, the missing piece was the Microsoft Update which I had
enabled on a few machines.

To the person who suggested Hijack this, thank you too, but that didn't
show anything out of the ordinary, these are fairly clean machines, and
it won't work if Microsoft causes the problem.

A quick note on Steve Andre's linux commentary, while Linux has grown up
a lot, it's still not there yet.  I've tried the latest live CDs for
both Ubuntu and and Knoppix, and when you figure out that you have to
install the WPA supplicant just to get wireless working on a notebook,
that's a huge barrier to entry.  We have to deal with computers all day
for work, and I don't know about you, but when I get home for the day, I
want it to just work, and Windows most of the time, just does. Having
all these linux resources among what seems to be many distributions is
annoying, I wish they would all concentrate their resources together and
unite behind one distribution and make a killer product.

Peter