While I don't think Vista is the devil (it's actually pretty nice), I am
having a vexing XP problem on a couple of workstations.

On two of our workstations (both freshly reformatted about two months
ago) with XP SP2, I'm having a weird problem where a bunch of services
(workstation, windows audio, ICS firewall) will shutdown after about 5
minutes after boot.  I can tell this is happening because the themes
service will shutdown and restart and then the computer starts acting
all weird (so you get a few moments of 'old windows' until themes comes
backup).  Network activity gets all screwed up and network drives are
dismounted after this incident, sound won't work, but most of the
services can be restarted with the exception of ICS.  No spyware or
viruses are on these machines.

Any ideas?