Following the leads in previous emails, I looked up some more specific
information.

The Knowledge Base article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/914387/en-us
mentions the Time Zone Editor, and tzedit.exe, but it does not mention that
the tool is a resource kit tool.  The Time Zone Editor is in the Windows
2000 Resource Kit.  It is available as a separate download at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/927229

The Time Zone Editor will help you manually make the necessary edits to a
time zone as Brian Hoort mentioned, but one time zone at a time.

At least one article suggested you might want to update time zone
information for more than your local time zone in case applications make
calculations related to other time zones.

I found one third party tool at http://www.intelliadmin.com/Downloads.htm
The download file is DaylightSavingFix.exe.  The notes on the website
implied that they just apply the registy settings documented by Microsoft,
limiting the updates to US time zones.  I don't know if this is the same
tool that Brian mentioned or not.  The tool is very small (751k).  If you
run it interactively, the dialog unobtrusively advertises other IntelliAdmin
tools.  I ran a quick test, and it updated the registry as I expected.  If
it mucked around with anything else, it did it very quickly (on my slow
computer, 500Mhz).  They provide silent install and uninstall with the
commandline options /qinstall and /quninstall.  The uninstall option
restores standard (US TZ) Windows 2000 registry settings, not settings made
by tzedit.exe that were already in the registry at the time the
daylightsavingfix.exe tool was run.

I also noticed in the article KB914387 that the Microsoft registry update
uses Dynamic DST and only covers 2006 and 2007 for EST.  Another article I
saw said Windows, including Vista, only handles Dynamic DST for two years,
which means any Windows 2000 machines that haven't retired by 2008 will need
to have their TZ registry settings updated again.

The DaylightSavingFix.exe tool does not use Dynamic DST (and TZedit.exe
can't modify Dynamic DST settings).  The registry settings made by
DaylightSavingFix.exe would also apply to 2008, as long as the DST start is
still the second Sunday in March and the end is the first Sunday in
November.

 -Stefan

Stefan Ozminski
Computer Services