From: STeve Andre' [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: Thursday, February 08, 2007 4:09 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] SPSS questions

   We don't have any form of tech support from SPSS with our edu stite
licence of SPSS15, do we?

  Since I'm pretty sure we don't, perhaps someone has seen the folowing.  I
have a user who got a new T60 Thnkpad; I put SPSS on it and authorized it,
etc.  The user says that SPSS runs just fine with the AC power plugged in,
but starts to crab about licence problems when on the battery!  I have not
seen this myself yet, but I have faith that this is in fact real.

   Has anyone seen this?  Have I missed commentary some where about this?
At a guess, I am thinking that at auth time SPSS records the speed of the
CPU, as a part of its paranoia about being illegally cloned.  When changing
the AC power supply state, the CPU speed changes and thus the notice of
license problems.

   If anyone knows of this, I'd love to know.

thanks,

--STeve Andre'
Political Science