We've actually had this very same problem, only not isolated to an unplugged
notebook. We've had users run into this problem on their desktop as well.

You can call SPSS for technical support. We've called them previously and
have called them even with regards to this specific issue. I'm not saying
they are all that helpful in finding a solution or even seem all that
knowledgeable about their product, but it is a contact. Their response to us
when we called was that there should be an error code displayed in the
output window and once we can tell them what the error code is, they can
help us further. The problem is that we've had users run into error messages
about the licensing when first trying to launch the application and others
run into problems after launching the application and trying to run an
analysis. For those that encounter the error upon launching the application,
there is no error displayed in the output window, just your standard error
dialog box.  We've communicated to our users that when they do run into the
problem again, document the error message and we'll go from there. This was
about 2 weeks ago, and we haven't heard of any more problems since then. It
seems to be somewhat inconsistent on when the problem arises.

We have some users on version 14 and some on 15, and both have run into the
same problem. The first few times we saw this problem, we just had the users
re-boot to see if took care of the problem, and though it really didn't
"solve" the problem, it did seem to work after re-booting.

At one point we were in contact with Randy Fotiu over at ACNS about this.
Randy was referred to us by the folks at the Computer Store. No news to
report from that, but perhaps if he's on this list, he might have something
to add.

Sorry for the long reply, but I just wanted to let you know that I don't
think you are alone with this problem.

Mark