   We don't have any form of tech support from SPSS with our
edu stite licence of SPSS15, do we?

  Since I'm pretty sure we don't, perhaps someone has seen
the folowing.  I have a user who got a new T60 Thnkpad; I
put SPSS on it and authorized it, etc.  The user says that SPSS
runs just fine with the AC power plugged in, but starts to
crab about licence problems when on the battery!  I have
not seen this myself yet, but I have faith that this is in fact
real.

   Has anyone seen this?  Have I missed commentary some
where about this?  At a guess, I am thinking that at auth
time SPSS records the speed of the CPU, as a part of its
paranoia about being illegally cloned.  When changing
the AC power supply state, the CPU speed changes and
thus the notice of license problems.

   If anyone knows of this, I'd love to know.

thanks,

--STeve Andre'
Political Science