I have had it happen to me.  Even putting the computer back on power did
not fix the license error.  I had to run the authorization wizard again to
get SPSS to work.  SPSS support told me that as long as it was not a new
install on the computer, rerunning the authorization wizard did not count
toward the site license total used.

I have had other problems with the licensing and whether I was connected to
the Internet or not.  I contacted SPSS and was told the following from an
SPSS service person:

"I am told that the only time SPSS checks is when the application is first
launched, so once the program is open you can go online and offline at
will.  Evidently they did not consider a situation where a customer would
be opening and closing the application at the same time as going on and
offline.  However, this has definitely been brought to the attention of the
development team."

"What happens is that the lock code of your machine changes based on online
status and if you go to restart SPSS in a different status it will misfire."

I had to wait about 1/2 hour for SPSS to reset the lock code so that the
program would run again.

You can go to the SPSS support web site, log in as guest with a password of
guest and write an email with your problem.  They will eventually
respond.  Or you can search their knowledge base.

Margaret

At 02:09 PM 2/8/2007, STeve Andre' wrote:
>    We don't have any form of tech support from SPSS with our
>edu stite licence of SPSS15, do we?
>
>   Since I'm pretty sure we don't, perhaps someone has seen
>the folowing.  I have a user who got a new T60 Thnkpad; I
>put SPSS on it and authorized it, etc.  The user says that SPSS
>runs just fine with the AC power plugged in, but starts to
>crab about licence problems when on the battery!  I have
>not seen this myself yet, but I have faith that this is in fact
>real.
>
>    Has anyone seen this?  Have I missed commentary some
>where about this?  At a guess, I am thinking that at auth
>time SPSS records the speed of the CPU, as a part of its
>paranoia about being illegally cloned.  When changing
>the AC power supply state, the CPU speed changes and
>thus the notice of license problems.
>
>    If anyone knows of this, I'd love to know.
>
>thanks,
>
>--STeve Andre'
>Political Science

Margaret Beaver, Information Technologist II
Department of Agricultural Economics
Michigan State University
PO Box 253, Laporte CO  80535
TEL: 970-494-0305   FAX: 970-494-0305