On Dec 27, 2006, at 5:31 PM, Charlot, Firmin wrote:
> Is there anyone who has taken the leap and virtualized some or all
> their production boxes and if so any advice/pitfalls/benefits that
> you could provide would be greatly appreciated?  What are you using
> for your Host server(s) (Open-Source, VMware or Microsoft Virtual
> Server).
It depends on how much you want to virtualize. I am in charge of a
small system in Residence Life and will be deploying a VMWare server
(running on Suse Linux) to virtualize about a half dozen or so hosts.
I was originally planning on using XEN but it became too much of a
headache, and I found that VMWare(even just the free version of
VMWare server) offered nice management features that XEN didn't have.

I know for a fact that the University of Notre Dame relies heavily on
VMWare to manage/support quite a few production services. Which is
one reason I am less skittish about using it for my own production
stuff.
--Ray