Chris,

The MSU mail team plans to reconfigure how incoming mail is handled.
Certain functions now handled by one set of servers will now be split
off to another set of servers, and senders to the user agent servers
will need to be authenticated.  This should not be visible to users.
Ed Kryda of the mail team has tested this with popular mail clients
and found no problems.  The only expected issue is with programs such
as mass mailers, and only with software that establishes an affinity
with particular server IP addresses, which should not happen.

Ed expects to install these changes this coming Thursday.  He expects
the changes will take a slice off of spam, so to speak, but not a huge
chunk.  The other changes the mail team is considering, such as
greylisting, are down the road and promise more benefit.

/rich