I realize this doesn't answer your question, but...

My department probably does as much international travel as any at MSU, and it almost always involves computers, Sometimes our travelers have their own computer for use on the trip, as well as one or more other computers being transported to a project location. We have never purchased insurance. In the 25 years we have been doing this, I can recall a total of three thefts in the department. One of these was from an unlocked office in Ag Hall, one was in a U.S. airport, and one was in an African airport. We've certainly had a few instances where people have damaged computers while traveling, by knocking them around, dropping them, etc, but that has also happened to people just taking them home for the night. I'm certain that buying insurance for all our international travel with computers over the years would have cost much more than the cost of the one computer that was stolen that way. Of course, everyone's experience and tolerance for risk is different. You will probably get some replies with information about insurers from others who have gone that route.

From: MSU Network Administrators Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Samone E. Jones
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2006 1:41 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: [MSUNAG] Insuring MSU Equipment traveling outside of the U.S.

Does MSU have a system or some kind of way to insure equipment traveling outside the U.S.
Anyone know whether you can insure equipment thru MSU  or any organization or
business and what/who the contact for it is.

I tried the computer center but the help desk told me
they didn't know of a department or means to do that thru MSU .

SJ

Samone E. Jones
Information Technologists
Family & Consumer Sciences