With help from Chris Wolf we were able to retrieve an installation
application (install_flash_player_active_x.exe) from Adobe to install Flash
Player 8 that did not require access to a browser or the Internet to
install.  However, I am unable to find a corresponding application for Flash
Player 9.  I have seen references to FlashPlayer9.msi, but this apparently
is available to people that apply for a free redistribution license
(http://www.adobe.com/licensing/distribution/).

We are also using Contribute 4, and under some circumstances, it tries to
install Flash Player 9 even if the machine already has Flash Player
8,0,24,0.

Does anyone know if MSU has applied for a redistribution license for the
Flash, Shockwave and Acrobat Readers?  Or a place to download an
installation application that can run silent, or semi-automated?

Note that there is a v8 uninstall at
http://download.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/current/uninstall_flash_playe
r.exe

There is an install package for v9 for Netscape at the same location, but I
was unable to guess a name for an activeX installation package.  It's not
the same as the v8 package.

 -Stefan

p.s. The circumstance where Contribute 4 tries to install Flash Player 9
might be when the machine does not have the file
%systemroot%\system32\Macromed\Flash\mms.cfg with the following line in it:

AutoUpdateDisable=1

I've installed Contribute 4 on two machines, and the one that had mms.cfg
did not attempt to install Flash Player 9 when I started up Contribute.

Stefan Ozminski
Computer Services
W.K. Kellogg Biological Station
Michigan State University