I asked some Computer Center people about this a few years ago
(backing up faculty hard drives to another building). They didn't
seem too concerned about the traffic.

If you look at the utilization graphs, Erickson Hall doesn't seem to
go over 5% -- I think you would have to work hard to saturate it.
http://mrtg.acns.msu.edu/mrtg/campus.html
(not sure what other buildings would be involved, or a quick way to
check the backbone(s) between them)

If the data possibly includes "sensitive data", it would certainly be
best to encrypt and compress it at the source.

Historically, PETA and ALF have only hit one building at a time, so
copies in two buildings sounds like a good idea to me.