On Tuesday 05 September 2006 11:47, Peter J Murray wrote:
> Hello
>
> Quick question.  Unless someone has a date, historically, how long does
> it take for a new processor line take to come out on the Optiplex line?
> I know that Optiplexes move more slowly in regards to innovation than
> the Dimension side, but I don't want to order any computers if the Core
> 2 stuff is around the corner, it is quite a bit faster and cooler than
> the current P4 architecture (in fact, it seems that laptops we've
> ordered with the original Core Duo processor are faster than a lot of
> our current desktops).
>
> Also, is there a Dell rep on campus somewhere?

I've never been able to pull out of Dell any kind of time estimates
on new systems, myself.  You are quite right that the Optiplex moves
more slowly; that used to mean that they were better designed and
built, but my latest experience was that 1 of 2 wasn't built right, so
I'm sad about that.

Dell has a workstation that uses the new cores, so I will bet that
they'll have some faster Optiplexi by November.  The new cores
are pretty impressive.

--STeve Andre'
Political Science