Thanks to the many folks who offered use of the Verizon Treo 650 disk with the Media Conduit drivers.  John Valenti was the first (and closest) to respond.  I'm amazed how many folks at MSU have this combination.

The cautionary tale is that you apparently cannot download from either Palm or Verizon the exact same application and drivers that come on this CD.  What happened to me was my Treo 650 went into an infinite reboot loop.  I had to perform a reset that was I think level 4 of 5 possible incantations, which meant of course the Treo lost everything.

Afterwards the Treo would not sync with the Palm Desktop instantiation it normally talked to.  A colleague suggested that I would have to erase all evidence of Palmness on the mother ship and start from scratch.  He was right.

Bottom line: Treo software is cell provider-specific, and you need the CD from your provider if you get in trouble.

Thanks again,

/rich