Lost mail is a -classic- symptom of the Windows networking stack being
overloaded. (See Microsoft buys Hotmail and similar issues. If you want
more detail, I knew someone that worked for Hotmail, at the time.)

I can't speak for Mr Kolb, but I can assume he is looking for extremely
detailed information (as much as you can provide) in the problems you
file.  If you are forwarding mail and losing it, is it being forwarded to
an Windows or unix server, is it a xx.msu.edu server or offcampus server.
Where is the mail you are losing coming from, maybe time of day and are
you experiencing delayed mail, it is being spam filtered elsewhere, Is
there a firewall/IDP inbetween, is it incoming or outgoing, does it have a
backup MX record on or off campus, etc.

If it is being delivered to the mail system, where is it coming from
mail, from another on-campus server, or off-campus, what time of day, etc.

There are a number of other variables involved given by the vague
information provided.

Sean

  Sean O'Malley, Information Technologist
  Michigan State University