We recently purchased a Dell 850 Dual Core Server for a dedicated backup
server to run with our Overland LoaderXpress (11 slot LTO2). We had a Dual
Xeon 2.8 Ghz server that was also running a few SQL databases using the
Overland and our backups were taking all night-14 hours. The Dual Core
dedicated server has cut the backups to 7-8 hours, where I was getting 250
MB per minute now I'm getting 300-600. My SQL server backs up at 1800 MB per
Minute due to the single large files, but the most time consuming are the
mail servers with thousands of small files. The Overland has been great
except for a system board failure but with the extended warranty it was
fixed on site within a few days. I configured a slot for each day and only
exchange tapes for my weekly's and monthly's.

A few variables:

I have most of the servers run into a gigabit switch so they can talk to
each other behind the firewall, most server have gigabit nics. Anything
plugged directly into the hardware firewall still gets great throughput.
We are using Veritas Backup Exec 9.1 (fully patched and behing the hardware
firewall!)

At my previous employer we used the Overland LoaderXpress with the Xiotech
Magnum SAN and that also worked well.

Scott Foreman
System Development
Controller's Office