NAG has asked that we give a heads-up when we send mailings related to
computing at MSU to MSU's Deans, Directors, and Chairs (DDC) list.
The following mailing from Tom Davis, director of ACNS, will go to DDC
soon.  Please note that we previously informed NAG of the Pilot sunset
via the NAG mailing list on February 21, 2006, and at a face-to-face
NAG meeting.

/rich

To:  Deans, Directors, and Chairs
Subject:  pilot.msu.edu to be retired

Academic Computing and Network Services (ACNS) launched mail.msu.edu in
the spring of 2003 to replace the Pilot e-mail system.  In the spring of
2004 - after migrating users to mail.msu.edu - the aging Pilot hardware
was retired.  Since that time, all e-mail addressed to "[log in to unmask]"
has been automatically forwarded to "[log in to unmask]".

The time has come to retire Pilot e-mail addresses.  As of May 11, 2006,
all e-mail sent to an "@pilot.msu.edu" address will bounce, with a notice
sent back to the sender indicating the mail is undeliverable.  Finally, on
August 11, 2006, the "pilot.msu.edu" name will be retired and any e-mail
sent to "@pilot.msu.edu" will be rejected.  The elimination of Pilot e-mail
addresses should substantially reduce spam deliveries to MSU - with minimal
impact on the delivery of legitimate mail.

In anticipation of this change, we encourage users to:

 - check mailing list subscriptions
 - inform key correspondents to stop using "@pilot.msu.edu" addresses
 - insure that the "From" address they use in all e-mail client software
   is of the form "[log in to unmask]" (not "[log in to unmask]")

If you have any questions or need assistance, please call the ACNS Help
Desk at (517) 432-6200, or visit http://help.msu.edu.  Please notify others
in your unit of this upcoming change.  Thank you for your assistance.

Tom Davis, Director
Academic Computing and Network Services