We are having difficulty getting Mac OS/X clients to connect to Windows 2003 servers.  The Samba client included with OS/X is apparently brain dead and does not switch to port 445 after not receiving a reply from ports 137-139.  What are other admins doing to connect Macs to Windows 2003 servers?

P.S. – Apple really is an odd company.  Brilliant in many areas and yet, as far as I can tell, they require NETBIOS for corporate file transfer.  We have known for the last 10 years that NETBIOS was inadequate, insecure and needs to be phased out.