I'm trying to figure out a way to let our pool of laptops be mobile on
campus without having to register each one individually with the DHCP
server.

Our laptops get used in a variety of ways, from folks needing to take work
home to running our information desks at Benefits events for Open Enrollment
periods, to giving retirement vendor presentations here in the Nisbet
Building.

Our users complain that it is difficult or impossible to get connectivity
over the wired MSU Campus network, which usually means they don't know how
to deal with DHCP (or don't want to).  We do have wireless here, but some of
the vendors don't want to use it because it isn't secure, and they are
dealing with employees personal information during their meetings.

We have tried to use XP's alternate configuration, but because it detects a
DHCP server when plugged into the wired network, it will never switch over
to the static IP configuration.

What I'm trying to avoid is having to reconfigure TCP/IP on every laptop for
the needs of the user that is checking it out.