Our current copier didn't do scanning, but there was a call for document
scanning, so we purchased a Xerox Documate 252 sheet fed scanner, which
goes to PDF (or other options) (your choice of OCR or not).  It's
attached to a student PC in the mailroom of our department, and anyone
can drop off a document and fill out a slip, and one of the student
workers does the scan and saves it to a common share drive which
everyone can read for pickup.  This setup works very well and people
don't have any problem picking up their scans off the shared drive.

We are looking to replacing our current copier and just looked at a
Lanier LD175 and saw a demo.  You bring up your pile of scanned
documents, press the scanner button, choose a name, and it saves it
right to a SMB share on any computer (and the computer itself doesn't
require any special software) (again, we'd use the common shared drive
for distribution).  Scan results looked very good and it does it right
to PDF (you can configure a lot of settings, such as resolution, etc).

PM