MSU has adopted a policy on protecting the confidentiality of social
security numbers.  Its title is "Social Security Number Privacy
Policy" and it resides at:

http://www.hr.msu.edu/HRsite/Documents/Uwide/Policies/ssnPrivacy.htm

The policy was adopted pursuant to pursuant to Section 4 of the
Michigan Social Security Number Privacy Act, which takes effect
January 1, 2006.

The MSU SSN policy states, in part: "Electronic documents containing
social security numbers should be destroyed in a manner consistent
with the "best practices" guidance issued by the Vice Provost for
Libraries, Computing and Technology."

LCT has posted a document,  "Best Practices in Disposal of Computers
and Electronic Storage Media" which appears at:

http://lct.msu.edu/bestpractices/rww-lct-safecomputerdisposal-nov2005.pdf

The article covers best practices on this topic in general.  A
companion article in our computing knowledge base discusses specific
tools for specific operating systems.  That article appears at:

http://techbase.msu.edu/viewpathfinder.asp?id=6567

NAG members and others may want to review the best practices document
and the companion knowledge base article. If there are good techniques
we need to add, please let us know.  Please feel free to share
comments and suggestions here, or by sending me a note.

Thanks,

/rich