STeve Andre' wrote:

>   I just finished installing XP on a ThinkPad, installed sp2 and then
>the next 25 patches.  I then started installing Symantec 10.  We have
>a server for it, so I chose a managed install, but the installer cannot
>see the server when I hit browse.  I don't have the IP address for the
>machine so I still need to try that, but I'm truly puzzled why the
>installer can't find the symantec server.  I've never had this problem
>with win2k.  IP stuff is properly configed, and the firewall is off.
>Nothing that I do lets me find the server.
>
>Any ideas?
>
>Thanks, STeve Andre'

Steve,
In addition to dropping the server's grc.dat onto the client, you need
to make xp sp2 firewall port and service exceptions.  Tweek the
firewalls on both the server and client, otherwise they won't
communicate.  Interestingly, Symantec 10 uses TCP port exceptions, 9
uses UDP exceptions.  The SAVCE 10 Installation Guide tells how to set
port exceptions.  And this document gives the needed service exceptions --
http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ent-security.nsf/529c2f9adcf33a1088256e22005026f1/c8a0afb2b2c7ba5f88256ec90058bf0a?OpenDocument&src=bar_sch_nam

--
Richard Ivans
517-432-7270