Our School's Director recently started using a Treo 650 with Verizon
service. I'm not sure on the cost, but can ask him.

We've had a few problems configuring it and still need to do some setup.

It receives email directly from mail.msu.edu without a problem. Sending
email thru mail.msu.edu doesn't work, I'm told because ESMTP isn't
supported. Right now he is using the web feature on the phone to send
messages using the web interface to mail.msu.edu.(I just heard about
this, I can't imagine he sends many messages that way)  We did test
sending thru the EGR mail servers, that seemed to work.

I think he wants to use the feature that allows it to sync up with his
desktop over the network. That is supposed to work, but he will have to
leave the desktop running. He probably really wants to sync it up with
four computers (office, home, laptop, secretary), so we might end up
configuring that just to save buying multiple cables.

I'm copying this message to our grad student, who has been doing most
of the actual setup work on this.

Oh, our Director travels a *lot* and seems pretty happy with the Treo
650 setup so far. He didn't like having to carry a laptop just to read
email.